Saturday, March 5, 2011

A three year old!

In Raising Healthy Children, Jolene L. Roehikepartain writes, "In our eagerness to teach our children, we may overlook what they are teaching us: compassion, conflict, resolution, and time management. They show us how to let loose, be spontaneous, rest when we need to, and become best friends with someone we were mad at moments ago. They help us to remember what its like to be a child, and they help us be better adults. Next time you learn a lesson from a preschooler, thank him or her. You might say, thank you for reminding me that yelling doesn't help. Adults forget sometimes."My sweet little 3 year old preschooler is teaching me more lessons in life than I ever though possible. I have learned more patience in the few short months since he has turned 3 than I have in my whole lifetime. Things that used to work as far as discipline don't even come close these days, he just has a mind of his own! Out of all the things that we have tried...and trust me we have tried just about everything! This chore chart has worked wonders! Its amazing how much better Kooper does with positive reinforcement but who doesnt right? Its just so easy to get mad, yell, and give a time out, and that's the last thing I want to be doing all day to somebody that I love so much.So I got this at Hobby Lobby and its so simple its perfect for his age, and the smiley face at the bottom works wonders, if he has all ready earned a smiley face for the day but then throws a major fit and trust me they are"major fits" before bed all we have to do is say we are going to erase his "smiley face" and 9 times out of 10 he stops.....its wonderful.
Im so thankful for all the lessons that Im learning being a Mom, I wouldn't change it for the world!

2 comments:

The Andersens said...

What a little cutie he is! I am loving the happy chore chart! When the twins get old enough to understand the "chart" i am So going to make one. Erin has always done one for her girls and I love that idea... Good job!

Sharps said...

HA HA! I am cracking up at your post about Koop hiding your stuff! Dang kids. And your hair...can Weston do mine? It looks REDONKULOUS! I still have not had it done since I saw you! HA HA! The leapster...we lost ours one time...bought another one...and found the first one in the couch cushions. Maybe yours is there? OHHH I MISS YOU! Hope to see you soon!